Saturday, April 11, 2009

A real live Easter Story in Northfield

At a weekly group meeting this morning Pastor Keith Holmstad told us story that happened this week at a grocery store in Northfield, I asked him to send it to me so I could share a real live Easter Story.

Happy Easter, Milo

I had an early lunch, so by 3:00 p.m. I needed a pick up. Couple of ‘end of the day’ Danish and a coffee – only the super duper mega market was out of hot coffee! And not a clerk in sight! Bummer. So I grabbed the rolls and a pint of milk and headed for the check out, thinking unkind thoughts about store clerks.

The short line had a young woman ahead of me, and an old woman ahead of her. The young woman had already put all of her stuff on the belt and had her coupons at the ready. The old woman was just getting checked out as I walked up. Then, something happened. She leaned over slightly and said something to the clerk, who nodded and took back a loaf of white bread. The scanner bleeped and he said something to her. It was noisy in the line and I couldn’t hear any of the conversation.

She was tall, snow white hair, pretty pink complexion, blue eyes that seemed rather tired and sad. There were some dollar bills in her left hand. She leaned toward the clerk once again. The conversation continued. He was ethnic Chinese and young enough to be her grandson. His face was a model of courtesy as he nodded, took back another item, the scanner bleeped again and he said something to her. Her face fell as the conversation continued. He then took back a small bag of green onions, undid the twister, took out one of the bunches of onions, redid the twister, scanned it once again, and spoke to the old woman.

Her face lit up! She handed him her money, he punched a few buttons, handed her the change and her receipt, and gave her a slight bow as the transaction was completed.

The young woman swept through the scanner in a matter of less than three minutes. Dozens of items, a small handful of coupons, all of it moved like a mountain stream flowing downhill through the scanner. As he worked I glanced down at the small pile of items the store clerk had removed from the old woman’s purchases – a loaf of white bread, a small package of luncheon meat, and a half bunch of green onions.

I felt like a fool that I had had the nerve to grumble to myself when I couldn’t find a store clerk to complain about an empty coffee urn. In retrospect my complaint looked very small and self serving. For all I knew the guy that takes care of the coffee urn was the young Chinese clerk who was helping an old woman preserve some small shred of dignity in her poverty as he treated her with courtesy and professionalism, even as he removed from her bill the simple items she couldn’t afford. And his small bow showed his respect.

“Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you, homeless and give you a place to stay, or sick and come and visit you?” And Jesus said, “I tell you, when you did it to one of the least of these, my brothers and sisters, you did it to me.”

I have no idea whether or not that was on the mind of the clerk – or the old woman. But it’s sure been on my mind. And now, maybe it’s on yours too.

--
Peace,

Keith

Rev. Keith E.O. Homstad

No comments: