This is a response I received from Eric Ward from Center for New Community. I enlisted his help after receiving several anti-immigrant emails that I know are untrue but wanted some facts to help stop some of these lies. I won't send these emails on because of the disturbing nature.
We as a Diversity Coalition try to do positive things for all newcomers and not judge people as a group but help each individual to have a better life and to help all of us understand and learn from our newcomer friends. Newcomers have hearts and feelings like you and I and feel hurt and anger when put in a group. Please consider this when listening to and reading all the anti-racist and anti-immigrant stories around the net and TV.
Please read the following response closely from Eric. Thank you very much for your understanding and helping our newcomers have a happier and more enriching life.
Have a gentle day, Milo
I just received your email "Just One State" sent to you:
Like you I believe that immigration is a critical issue that must be discussed around every dinner table and lunch counter in America. It is a discussion that concerns who we are and who we will be as a nation. It is a discussion that must be based in truth, fact, and honesty.
Sadly the "Just One State" email does the opposite.
The email is a hoax that is not based on information taken from the L.A. Times. While some information is based on true sources, the email was scripted in an attempt to hijack a honest discussion on immigration. Simply the emails goal is to dehumanize those in our country simply because of their immigration status.
I know that you are an individual who understands the importance of solving immigration. More importantly I know you as an individual who believes in honesty and fairness. Because of the beliefs that you hold I'm asking you to send this email to everyone who received "Just One State" from you. I'm also asking you to send this email to the individuals who emailed "Just One State" to you originally.
Let everyone know that they can find the facts regarding the email "Just One State" at http://www.snopes.com/politics/immigration/taxes.asp
If you want to rise above the name-calling and mudslinging, now is the crucial time to stand up with the truth. If you think the national conversation on immigration must be honest and sensible, your voice now necessary in responding to the hoax email that you sent to me. The email does nothing to solve the one of the most important issues facing our country.
Warm regards,
Eric Ward
National Field Director
Center for New Community
www.campaignforaunitedamerica.org
www.imagine2050.net
Monday, October 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment