Wednesday, July 04, 2007

More Questions after my Heart Attack

Isn't it a shame, said one of my nurses at St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester tending to me after my heart attack this last weekend, that when Hispanics are admitted no one comes to visit.

This brought to mind how lucky we are when tragedy strikes we aren't left alone in a strange place among strangers. We have family and friends to console us, to help make decisions on our care, or medications, our well being.

The nurse says when many Hispanics are admitted they are brought to the room or intensive care unit and are left alone. Their families are afraid to visit for fear of being questioned or detained by authorities. Even though they may be legal they may have family members or friends who are waiting to become legal.

There is distrust among our Latino friends because of stories of raids throughout the country where everybody is guilty until they are proven otherwise. The story of the mother that was taken away from her Autistic child and the rest of her family last week is heartbreaking. There are stories everyday like this. No one is safe no matter how long they've been living in this country.

Year after year everyone gripes about our immigration problem, but once again the Immigration Reform to support fair, workable immigration reform that provides pathways to residency for immigrants and future workers, supports family unity, upholds human rights and due process, and protects workers is dead. No one can agree on what to do, meanwhile families like these suffer, good loving people. Imagine what it would be like when you were little to have your mother taken away and be sent away without seeing her, telling her you love her or her telling you.

I've been raised to believe there is no complete black and white issues. There are circumstances to every issue. Why are the genuine, loving families of all immigrants being treated this way? Why don't we concentrate our energies on getting rid of the criminals and drug dealers?

As I reflect on this Fourth of July I wonder what our founding fathers would have thought. I wonder how proud they would be when we can't decide on what to do with the Immigration Reform? How it is easier just to send back helpless people back home and leave families all over the country without parents to let the children grow up with distrust, hatred, and without a guiding hand of a mother or father.

By the way I'm doing fine after my heart attack, angiogram and medication, just a little healing process again and ready to pick up the fight once again. I only wish I could explain why these things are happening to the nurse that questioned me, and my wish for this Fourth of July is that once again we can become a country of peace and understanding.

Have a gentle day, Milo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Milo,

I was surprised to hear about your heart attack. I hope all is well and you and your family are OK. I was also reading you blog and it's hard to believe that even in your time of struggle, you think about other people. I felt so bad, for not keeping up to date on my fellow Welcome Center friends. Milo, I hope you do fine. You are such a great asset not only to the many organizations that you belong to, but to our community as a whole. As a member of the Latino community and most importantly as a citizen of Faribault, it's so comforting to know there are still good people with great hearts out there and you are the best example! Some of us try to make a difference here and there, but sometimes our busy schedules don't allow us to dedicate ourselves and our time to our community as much as we wish we could. Thanks for helping the place where my children will grow up, a wonderful place to live!!!
Get Better Fast!
Vicky Carrillo