The other day I was identified in the newspaper as president of the Faribault Diversity Coalition and quoted as mentioning our need for volunteers to offer GED support in Spanish. The project would support Spanish-speaking residents who wish to study further or who would like to document their education in their home country by obtaining their GED. The following day I received a call from a retired school teacher.
Her first words were, " I really think it would be more important to learn English and forget the GED until they can speak English".
I was immediately taken aback and became defensive, saying that we were also going to discuss that aspect too. I then realized that this was too short of an answer and I was avoiding a needed confrontation.
I began to explain how ESL (English as a Second Language} classes are filled and have a waiting list of over a year, and that ESL program funding has been cut by the government. I continued by noting that immigrants are being paid less than the white population, thereby having to work two and three jobs to support their families and send money back to the home country to feed their starving families. If the shorter route to a GED opens up opportunities for living wage jobs sooner, it seems a worthwhile effort to support.
I asked how long it took her and my ancestors to learn English. From what I hear from most people, it took generations. But current immigrants are being expected to telescope that process into a few short years.
I explained that we, as a Diversity Coalition and Welcome Center, are a referral and educational system, a helping hand to ALL people. We don't ask and can't ask anyone of any culture if they are legal or illegal. Our concern is to help build an inclusive community where all can participate and belong, where needs are met and persons are respected. Whatever can further that mission has our support.
We have been a bridge between all cultures since we started. We have been trying to be "Minnesota Nice" and have been proud of that Minnesota characteristic. But since "9/11" we have all come up a little short. It all comes down to what's morally right. Do we turn our backs on people because of their race, color or creed? How can we turn someone away who is sick, has a toothache, needs a drivers license, needs something translated so they can understand or be understood, seeks a place to live or wants to know their rights, or wonders where to learn English? It goes on and on. Most people would be happy just to have someone smile at them. That is a bridge we all can build.
I grew up with wonderful and helpful Norwegian parents who were always helping out family and friends, yes, even those Catholics that differed from our Lutheran ways. I might add that when I turned Catholic after I left home, it did get a little rocky for awhile but they got over it. Diversity has probably meant different things to all of us through life, but the challenge will always be to live with mutual respect.
After I took a breath, the caller saw my point and had understood where I was coming from. The caller agreed we need to get "Minnesota Nice" back again and wondered how she could help. I referred her to the Welcome Center, where we are always in need of volunteers to man the office and phones and to join the dialogue, to learn from one another and especially offer a welcoming smile.
With that, I thanked God for the phone call that interrupted my day and made me see and put into words what I have been so passionately involved with the past 6 years. I guess a little adversity is good for the soul.
Have a gentle day, Milo
Sunday, October 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
A thoughtful response, Milo, and a great example of how a little knowledge of the facts goes a long way!
I also am thrilled that you are making such good use of Blogging to communicate with the community. Is there any chance you could enable RSS feeds for this Blog, so that we can be alerted whenever new posts are added?
Post a Comment